10 Best-Performing Mutual Funds of 2011
The $310 million mid-cap value fund Putnam Equity Spectrum (PYSAX) boasts a return of 14.6% this year.
Its top holding, EchoStar (SATS), at 15% of the fund, is up 42% this year. The company operates a digital set-top box business for use by the cable TV industry, and a satellite-services business, which owns or leases eight orbiting satellites that lease capacity to businesses and government agencies.Dish Network (DISH), which is 14.3% of the portfolio, is up 45% this year. It provides broadcast services to 14.2 million customers in the U.S. via a network of owned and leased satellites. It acquired video-rental chain Blockbuster out of bankruptcy this year. United Continental Holdings (UAL), at 6.4% of the fund, is up 0.7% this year. It is the largest U.S. airline and operates nearly 6,000 daily flights, domestically and internationally.
The $991 million Delaware Smid Cap Growth Fund (DFCIX) has advanced 14.2% this year, including 3.9% over the past three months. Weight Watchers International (WTW), at 6.5% of the fund, is its largest holding. Its shares are up 95% this year. The company offers a variety of weight-management products and services that encourage healthy weight loss through exercise, nutrition and portion control. Polycom (PLCM), the second-largest holding of the fund at 5.3%, is up 51% this year. It makes voice- and video-communications equipment. Shares of Terradata (TDC), which make up 2.4% of fund assets, are up 40% this year. The company is focused on developing and commercializing data warehousing solutions for large corporations and government agencies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV