10 Best-Performing Mutual Funds of 2011
The $41 million Aston/Fortis Real Estate Fund (AARIX) has gained 13% this year and 7.3% over the past three months.
Simon Property Group is its largest holding, at 12.7%, and Boston Properties makes up 7.8% of the portfolio.Public Storage (PSA), at 8% of the fund, is up 11.8% this year, including a 4.2% gain over the past three months. It is the largest self-storage REIT in the world with about 2,200 self-storage properties in 38 states and seven countries. The fund's top performer is SL Green Realty (SLG), up 26% this year. It makes up 1.4% of the portfolio. The company owns 23 Manhattan office properties and 25 suburban New York office properties, among its vast holdings.
The $74 million Virtus Small-Cap Sustainable Growth Fund (PSGAX) is a surprise on the top-performer list, given that small-cap stocks are out of favor after a strong run-up over the past two years. But the fund has a 15.5% return this year, including 9% over the past three months. Its top holding is Hittite Microwave (HITT), at 6.4% of the portfolio. Its shares are down 4% this year. The company makes integrated circuits, modules and components for radio-frequency and microwave applications. FLIR Systems (FLIR) is 5% of the fund and has a 10.7% return this year. It makes thermal-imaging and infrared-camera equipment for military, law enforcement and commercial applications. LoopNet (LOOP), at 5.3% of the fund, is up 66% this year. It operates an online marketplace called LoopNet.com, which is used to match commercial real estate sellers with buyers and landlords with tenants. The company is expected to merge with rival CoStar (CSGP) late this year, via CoStar's $900 million acquisition of LoopNet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV