Bigtime Investors Lose Big on China
Hank Greenberg has been nonchalant of late when talking to the likes of CNBC about his fund's disastrous investment in China MediaExpress, another flame-out that saw Muddy Waters play a role, though short-sellers had been circling around the company for months.
In March, MediaExpress's audit firm, the Chinese affiliate of Deloitte, resigned after saying it had uncovered accounting impropriety. The SEC has launched a probe into the company -- a probe that likely is coupled with the agency's broader investigation (reported by TheStreet in December) into possible widespread securities violations among Chinese companies.
Greenberg's investment vehicle, C.V. Starr, filed suit against MediaExpress and several of its executives not long after the brouhaha erupted, alleging that it had been duped out of its money.Starr had built a 12.3% stake in CCME before evidently trimming the position. As of March 31, Starr held 8.3% of the company, according to Edgar Online. A spokeswoman for Starr said the fund had no comment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV