Bigtime Investors Lose Big on China
Maybe the highest-profile of the high-profile funds to take a significant stake in a company later attacked, John Paulson's Paulson & Co. owned nearly 35 million shares of Sino-Forest, or 14% of the company, as of October 2010, before dumping the entire position recently. According to some reports, the vaunted manager may have taken a loss of more than half a billion dollars.
Sino-Forest denied allegations that it has overstated the size of its timber holdings, first lodged at the end of May by the infamous short-selling research shop Muddy Waters. A recent investigative report on Sino-Forest by Canada's Globe & Mail newspaper also had damning information to report.
Paulson's firm, which has an office in Hong Kong, started amassing its position as early as 2008. At its peak, on March 31, when Sino-Forest touched its all-time high of $25.85, the stake would have been worth about $880 million. In Toronto trading recently, the shares were moving at about $2.50.A Paulson & Co. spokesman said the firm wouldn't comment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV