5 Big Losers Ready to Bounce
MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- There is a perception among some casual observers of the market that all stocks are created equal. They are not.
Since the end of April, stocks have been in decline, with the major market indices flirting with the established definition of a market correction being down nearly 10%. Within that construct, there have been huge losers that have lost substantially more than 10% of their market value.
At the moment, the S&P 500 is down about 5% since the end of April. After an impressive two-year rally from the perilous bottom reached in the spring of 2009, it was only natural for stocks to take a bit of a breather. Helping seal the pessimistic tone of the last month or so is an economy that remains tepid in its recovery.
Employment -- and, as a result, consumer confidence -- is weak. So, too, is business confidence. At the same time, commodity prices are on the upswing. Add in the debt crisis in Europe and it is easy to see why investors are skittish about stocks.Related: 10 Stocks With Huge Rebound Potential Current losses on the major indices present few opportunities. For those companies that have lost substantially more, there is blood in the street. For contrarian investors, these are the names that I would focus on today. Historically, buying stocks that are substantially lower relative to the rest of the market can be a rewarding investment strategy. Considering the strong operating performance of many publicly traded companies, the time to buy is now. Here are five big losers that I expect to bounce back in the very near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV