NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A new breed of technologies is emerging built around data "liberated" from both the public and private sectors, according to Aneesh Chopra, the federal government's chief technology officer.
"We see the rise of new products and services that we would never have imagined," he said, during a question-and-answer session at the Nextwork technology event in New York City. "An effective government, that's a partner, can open up the potential for information and networking technologies."
Weatherbill uses data from sources such as the National Weather Service to create sophisticated weather simulations. This information is then used to sell real-time agricultural insurance. "It's a whole new product for crop insurance," explained Obama's technology chief.The former Secretary of Technology for the Commonwealth of Virginia has been a vocal advocate for stronger links between the public and private technology sectors since becoming the country's first CTO in May 2009. Chopra explained that one of his biggest "aha!" moments on assuming his Washington role came when he realized the lack of modeling technology in small- to medium-sized American manufacturing firms. This, according to Chopra, was hampering manufacturers' ability to quickly design and then build their products. "The mom and pop manufacturers that account for the bulk of manufacturing employment in the U.S. can't afford
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV