McDonald's Smott argued that the Golden Arches' "Happy Meals make it easier for families to choose the right foods in portions just for kids," adding that "we provide options for our customers and trust them to make the decisions that are right for their families. Politicians should, too."
Jack in the Box spokesman Brian Luscomb said that "while we've been aware of efforts to ban the inclusion of toys in kids' meals, that did not drive our decision."
"Our advertising and promotions have focused exclusively on the frequent fast-food customer, not children," added Randy Carmical, also a Jack in the Box spokesman.
Luscomb conceded that a small percentage of Jack in the Box's $2.9 billion in annual revenue came from the sale of kids' meals, a menu item the chain has offered for decades. Carmical added that Jack in the Box chose to focus more on the food its children's meals, rather than the toys; it recently began offering customers the option to substitute a portion of sliced apples with a caramel dipping sauce instead of French fries. "We believe that providing these kinds of options is more appealing to a parent than packaging a toy with lower-quality fare," Carmical said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV