iShares iBoxx $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index Fund (HYG)
High-yield corporate debt is a popular destination for risk-tolerant investors seeking steady income. Designed to target this corner of the bond market, HYG sets aside exposure to the sub-investment grade rated debt of a vast array of companies. The fund's portfolio lists nearly 500 individual holdings.
Although the threat of a bond default looms over HYG, I do not foresee such an event occurring on a large scale in the near future. By keeping exposure small and focused, investors can safely benefit from the fund's nearly 8% yield.
iShares S&P U.S. Preferred Stock Index Fund (PFF)There are only a handful of ETFs available for investors looking to target preferred stock and PFF stands out as the strongest option. Whereas competing products like the PowerShares Financial Preferred Portfolio (PGF) is dedicated solely to the financial industry, PFF utilizes a slightly more diversified approach to tracking this asset class. The 15% of PFF's portfolio not focused on the financial industry is spread across companies from sectors including consumer discretionary, industrial, and utilities. Ultimately, investors will need a strong appetite for financials in order to stomach any preferred share-focused ETF. However, the fund's 7% yield may make it worth the risk. Guggenheim Canadian Energy Income ETF (ENY) Income-focused investors looking to expand their reach beyond the borders of the U.S. may want to put the ENY on the radar. This unique fund is designed to target Canada's lucrative energy industry. According to this fund's Website, this is achieved by combining exposure to Canada's highest yielding energy producers and fastest-growing oil sands players. Top holdings include Canadian Oil Sands, Suncor Energy (SU), Imperial Oil (IMO) and Meg Energy Corp. Currently, ENY's yield is in excess of 2%. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV