GREELEY, Colo. ( TheStreet) -- Pilgrim's Pride (PPC) shares spiked higher amid heavy trading after the poultry producer's CEO said he does not expect any liquidity problems this year, alleviating investor fears.
CEO Bill Lovette said late Tuesday that, despite concerns earlier this year that Pilgrim's Pride was in danger of violating its debt covenants -- a worry that has pressured the company's stock price for months -- the company's banks are "comfortable" with its operational strategy.
He also said that JBS USA Holdings -- a Brazilian beef, pork and lamb processor that holds a 67.2% stake in Pilgrim's Pride -- could lend the poultry producer up to $100 million to serve as a "backstop."
"Some have assumed we would
Pilgrim's Pride shares were 9.2% higher at $5.10 in early-afternoon trading. More than 1.2 million shares changed hands just over halfway through the day's session, compared with average daily volume of just 940,000. Tyson rose 0.4%, Smithfield added 0.9% and Sanderson gained 1.7%. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV