UVA's Darden School Of Business And Batten Institute Announce Emerging Ventures In 2011 Business Incubator
- Legal Clinic: Through a partnership with the UVA School of Law and the Woods Rogers law firm, the Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership initiated a series of programs to provide free legal services to new ventures. UVA Law students are partnered with Incubator students under the supervision of a practicing attorney.
- E*Tech Mash-up: Aspiring entrepreneurs presented their ventures before technical experts and received advice concerning the practicality, requirements, scope, difficulty, and implementation of their ideas. Quick pitches were followed by the opportunity to breakout into smaller groups at this event organized by the Charlottesville Business Innovation Council and the Neon Guild.
- Internet Start-up Workshop: Incubator students developed their technical knowledge and learned about the powerful tools that are available to build websites from current and former Darden students with technical expertise.
- Incubator Pitch for Help Session: Incubator students pitched their ventures to alumni to ask for non-monetary support such as customer contacts, strategic partnerships, key personnel and expertise.Among the dozen participants in this year's ventures are:
- Abt Labs , founded by Darden Second Year student Kevin Abt, will create a revolutionary line of "smart" sporting goods and apparel that measure athletic performance. The initial line of products will comprise sensors embedded into sporting equipment, and accompanying software to accurately measure and analyze speed, movement, trajectory, and rotation. The product is intended as a training tool to help athletes, coaches, and evaluators accurately capture, analyze, and catalog performance through a flexible set of metrics applicable to the specific sport.
- DealStage, created by Darden Second Year student Greg Herrington, is a software productivity tool for law firms to assist them with closing deals between multiple law firms and client firms in a more transparent and less costly manner. www.dealstage.com/
- NOMUDA Games, winner of the 2011 Darden Business Plan Competition, is pioneering story-based episodic game content for mobile platforms. Founder Joe Chard (MBA'11) employs vivid, imaginative environments to explore and addictive, touch-based puzzles embedded in the environment to pace the storytelling experience. http://www.nomudagames.com
- SynkMonkey, founded by Hunter Murchison (MBA'11) and Jay Subhash (MBA'11), is a mobile app that allows users to easily schedule meetings and appointments via rich text messages with integrated date/time and mapping technology, while auto-populating a calendar with the meeting details. SynkMonkey will collect data about what user's future plans are, thus enabling the company to deliver highly targeted and relevant ads, coupons, or other services. www.synkmonkey.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV