WESTWOOD, Mass., June 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
Summer is the hottest season of the year for vehicle theft, with July and August ranking as the highest auto theft months of the year, and July 4th in particular ranking #3 (latest FBI data) on the list of holidays with the highest incidents of vehicle theft. Vehicle theft protection experts warn that consumers are growing increasingly complacent about auto theft and are not using even common sense measures to protect their vehicles from theft. The following examples illustrate that point:
- In 2010, the Baltimore Regional Auto Theft Task Force studied 400 cases of recovered stolen vehicles in which arrests had been made and found that 85 percent had been stolen with the vehicle's keys. That's up from 25% in a 1995 study.
- In 2009, the Arizona Automobile Theft Authority reported that nearly 20% of all vehicles stolen had keys left in them.
- In 2008, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles reported that thieves stole nearly 90,000 vehicles in Texas and in almost 50% of the reported cases, the key was left in the ignition.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/lojack/50795/(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20080512/NEM054LOGO ) (Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110622/MM23691 ) Additionally, while vehicle theft rates may be declining, the national rate of unrecovered stolen vehicles is at its highest point in more than 25 years, with sophisticated thieves outsmarting many anti-theft devices and making big business out of vehicle theft. A full 43 percent of vehicles stolen in 2009 (latest FBI data) were never recovered, amounting to 343,274 stolen vehicles not returned to their rightful owners. In order to help owners protect their vehicles from today's sophisticated professional car thieves -- particularly while they are out on their summer drive vacations -- the National Insurance Crime Bureau and LoJack Corporation are embarking on their fifth annual National Vehicle Theft Protection Month effort. As part of this effort, the organizations have developed three informative YouTube videos and a podcast, which contain a variety of valuable information about vehicle theft protection.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts