- In 2010, the Baltimore Regional Auto Theft Task Force studied 400 cases of recovered stolen vehicles in which arrests had been made and found that 85 percent had been stolen with the vehicle's keys. That's up from 25% in a 1995 study.
- In 2009, the Arizona Automobile Theft Authority reported that nearly 20% of all vehicles stolen had keys left in them.
- In 2008, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles reported that thieves stole nearly 90,000 vehicles in Texas and in almost 50% of the reported cases, the key was left in the ignition.
First Week Of Summer Kicks Off Hottest Season For Vehicle Theft
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.