This posting features a comprehensive review of the large-cap ETF sector. To simplify matters for investors, and to be consistent with previous practices, we've highlighted what we feel are the top 10 choices in this category. Doing so makes sorting through the sector more manageable for most investors.
The ETFs chosen represent a broad cross-section of domestic issues from a variety of sponsors. Most issues are seasoned being issued long ago with substantial assets under management and good liquidity. We're not necessarily recommending one issue over another; rather we're trying to feature those issues that aren't repetitive. If other choices are available, these are mentioned where applicable.
SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF) tracks the S&P 500 index. It holds the distinction of being the original ETF created by Nate Most for the AMEX in January 1993. (Nate passed away at the age of 90 in 2004 a few months after we had a wonderful lunch with him. His only regret is not having any royalties from his creation. Even then he marveled at how ETFs had grown in popularity.) AUM (Assets under Management) exceeds $91 billion and average daily trading volume is over 170M shares. The expense ratio is only .10% making it one of the lowest cost ETFs available. With SPY being as popular and large as it is it shouldn't surprise that futures, options and leveraged long/short issues (see reports to follow) are available. The current dividend yield is less than 2% and YTD return as of June 2011 is .80%.
Competitive choices would be IVV (iShares S&P 500 ETF) and could also include VIG (Vanguard Large Cap Blend ETF) among others.
Data as of June 2011
SPY Top Ten Holdings & Weightings1. ExxonMobil Corporation ( XOM ): 3.37% 2. Apple, Inc. ( AAPL ): 2.61% 3. Chevron Corporation ( CVX ): 1.71% 4. General Electric Company ( GE ): 1.70% 5. International Business Machines Corp ( IBM ): 1.68% 6. Procter & Gamble Company ( PG ): 1.53% 7. AT&T, Inc. ( T ): 1.52% 8. Microsoft Corporation ( MSFT ): 1.50% 9. Johnson & Johnson ( JNJ ): 1.50% 10. JPMorgan Chase & Co ( JPM ): 1.40%
RSP (Rydex S&P 500 Equal Weight ETF) also follows the S&P 500 Index but breaks the index up into equal weights vs weighted SPY and IVV. Generally, we prefer using RSP for our portfolios when long given upside returns have been marginally superior. RSP was launched in April 2003. AUM equal $3 billion and average daily trading volume is 900K shares. The expense ratio is .40% which is rather high compared to weighted competitors. The dividend yield is over 1.5% and YTD return as of June 2011 is 2.80%.
Data as of June 2011
RSP Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- National Semiconductor (NSM): 0.33%
- Cephalon, Inc. (CEPH): 0.27%
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF): 0.27%
- Dean Foods Company (DF): 0.26%
- Biogen Idec, Inc. (BIIB): 0.26%
- Gamestop Corporation A (GME): 0.25%
- Tiffany & Co. (TIF): 0.25%
- Lorillard, Inc. (LO): 0.25%
- Limited Brands, Inc. (LTD): 0.25%
- Electronic Arts, Inc. (ERTS): 0.24%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV