NEW YORK ( TheStreet)--
Financial sector stocks have underperformed the broader market year to date, which may be a good reason to beef up bets in the sector.
The Financial Select Sector SPDR (XLF), a popular exchange traded fund that tracks financial stocks, was down 6.71% year to date through the close of trading Monday, versus a 4.33% gain for the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
If the sector rebounds, it is possible the biggest pop will come from stocks that are out of favor with analysts. Which financial stocks do the analysts like least? There is one ranking system to give you the answer.Bloomberg assigns stocks a number from one to five based on each analyst's recommendation, then calculates the average to show how Wall Street analysts as a group rate a particular stock. A rating of five would mean every analyst that covers the stock loves it, while a rating of one means every analyst hates the stock. TheStreet took a look at the 83 financial stocks in the S&P 500 to see how analysts rate them. TheStreet took a look at the 83 financial stocks in the S&P 500 to see how analysts rate them. Though Bloomberg includes real estate investment trusts among financial stocks, we don not, so we eliminated Weyerhaeuser (WY) which would have come in first. We also took out Marshall & Ilsley (MI), since it has agreed to be acquired by Bank of Montreal (BMO). Keep in mind that analysts may recommend a stock even if they think the company is badly run, has poor growth prospects, or a bunch of bad loans sitting on its books that it isn't owning up to, as long as it's cheap enough. Also remember that analysts tend to be bullish as a group, mostly because they are afraid putting a "sell" on a stock may cause management to shut them out of the information loop. Keeping that in mind, here are the five financial stocks analysts hate. Also, don't forget to take a look at five financial stocks analysts love.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV