2. MEMC (WFR), a global leader in semiconductor and solar technology, engages in the design and development of silicon wafer technologies. With R&D and manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, MEMC provides services useful in the manufacture of next generation semiconductor devices and solar cells.
For the first quarter, the company's Solar Materials and SunEdison segments posted strong sales. Net sales at the end of March 2011 were $735.9 million, increasing 68% from $437.7 million in the first quarter of 2010.
Capital expenditure during the quarter was $205.4 million, primarily related to investment in solar wafer capacity, semiconductor 300 mm wafer production, and polysilicon capacity expansion.Cash and cash equivalents for the quarter stood at $684.1 million. Analysts polled by Bloomberg are positive on the stock and expect it to deliver around 76% within a year's time. The stock is trading at 8 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts