6. Applied Materials (AMAT) provides innovative equipment, services and software for the manufacture of solar photovoltaic products, advanced semiconductors and flat panel displays.
Net income reported for the first quarter of fiscal 2011 was $506 million as against $83 million in the same quarter last year. Net revenue rose to $2.69 billion from $1.89 billion in the first quarter of 2010.
The backlog for orders increased by $292 million to $3.54 billion at the end of the first quarter. Gross margin was 42.3%, marginally higher than 42.2% reported in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.Looking ahead, Mike Splinter, CEO of Applied, said, "We see momentum building in our end markets and expect our company's fiscal year revenue to be more than $11 billion, exceeding our previous record by over a billion dollars. We now expect wafer fab equipment spending to be up 10% to 15% from approximately $31 billion in calendar 2010, with crystalline silicon solar equipment spending rising by more than 30% year over year." Cash and cash equivalents increased to $4.1 billion at the end of the quarter. Analysts have 36% buy ratings and expect the stock to deliver 30% over the next year. The stock is trading at 8.8 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV