(Updated with further detail on the fake SEC suit.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A controversial short-seller who has made a career out of accusing Chinese companies of fraud was the victim of a hoax on Tuesday.
According to a document that rippled across the Internet, the Securities and Exchange Commission filed a civil suit against Carson Block, the short-seller who composes critical reports on Chinese companies under the name Muddy Waters, alleging stock manipulation.
The document, however, was a fake. SEC spokesman John Nester confirmed as much Tuesday morning. "We've issued no such release," he said. He declined to comment further.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV