7. AT&T (T), a holding company, provides telecommunications services in the U.S. and worldwide. The company structures its operations into four segments: wireless (including voice and data), wire line (landline voice and data), advertising solutions (Yellow and White Pages directories) and customer information services.
During the first quarter of 2011, the company's consolidated revenue increased almost $700 million to $31.2 billion. Diluted earnings per share rose to 57 cents from 41 cents in the same quarter of the prior year. Total wireless subscribers were a record 2 million, with smartphone sales reaching more than 5.5 million. During the quarter, AT&T added 1.6 million emerging device connections to exceed the 12 million devices mark.
Convergys (CVG) recently said it would sell its holdings in cellular partnerships located in the Cincinnati metropolitan area to AT&T in a cash transaction of approximately $320 million. AT&T expects to close the sale by early July 2011.Moreover, the company has unveiled plans to invest $1 billion in network-based cloud, mobility and network sourcing solutions in 2011. The company will deploy the services across the board to businesses ranging from small to big multinational companies, government agencies, institutions and industries. Of the 32 analysts covering the stock, 59% rate it a buy and the rest rate it a hold. The stock has no sell ratings. On average, analysts surveyed by Bloomberg have a $32.55 12-month price target on the stock, which is about 5.1% higher than recent levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV