NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- From Lockheed Martin (LMT) to Citigroup (C) and even the CIA, the list of major organizations falling victim to hackers is growing at an alarming rate, fueling worries that core U.S. infrastructure is the next big target.
"If you are talking about hackers that work for foreign governments, then I think the focus would continue with defense contractors as well as anything related to the U.S. infrastructure," said Jim Stickley of cyber security specialist TraceSecurity. "That could include the power grids as well as oil refinery companies and phone systems."
|Core U.S. national infrastructure is next on hackers' hitlists, say security experts|
Underlining the importance of this issue, the National Security Agency has reportedly started a project called "Perfect Citizen," which aims to monitor key infrastructure such as power grids and nuclear reactors for potential cyber attacks.
Attacks that temporarily knock out an organization's Web site, such as the ones which recently targeted the CIA and the IMF, are also likely to proliferate, according to John D'Arcy, an assistant professor at the University of Notre Dame's Mendoza College of Business."The next likely target will be a high-profile government Web site or system, or else one of the larger U.S. companies' sites such as Google (GOOG)," he explained. "These hacking groups are really trying to make a splash by going after high-profile targets (such as the IMF site) and I expect that trend to continue." TraceSecurity's Stickley also notes a new approach from some hackers shifting their approach away from individual consumers. "The next generation of attacks will focus less on the home users and more on the employees of organizations," he said. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV