MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- Stocks finally managed to break their losing streak last week. For the first time in six weeks, the major indices closed the week in positive territory -- barely. Investors remain skittish.
If you were looking for excitement and for stocks that moved big one way or another last week, companies reporting earnings were a good bet. Best Buy (BBY) offered up a strong report thanks to smartphone sales (mental note: watch stocks tied to smart phones when second-quarter earnings season begins). Shares jumped more than 7% on the news.
One of the biggest losers came late in the week. Winnebago (WGO) shares sank a massive 16% in one day after it reported earnings that missed expectations. The company made a tiny 4 cents per share profit in the company's third quarter, compared with expectations for 13 cents per share.
Related: 5 Stocks With Big Insider BuyingTrading earnings in advance of the news can be hugely profitable. The key is to get a good read on expected results and how the stock will move as a result. Beating or missing the Wall Street number can trigger big moves in a stock. Here's how to trade several stocks reporting earnings this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV