Further, Cooper says this means that "the market seems to have penalized companies for the rising costs associated with lengthening the life of a mine operation...the market does not seem to be paying for the optionality offered by increasing reserves when they come with increased costs."
The strongest periods of underperformance seem to correspond with times when cost inflation was high. Cooper concluded that "investors seeking gold exposure also want safety in terms of cost containment, and when part of the reason for buying stocks falters, the choice is abandoned for alternative investments."
BofA-ML estimates that the average all-in cost for the industry was up 19% from the previous year to $1,081 an ounce during the first quarter of 2011. The increase is largely due to rising fuel prices, higher labor costs, increased regulatory expenses and declining ore grades.
While it's true that these rising costs are putting a strain on miners' profitability, it's important to keep it in context. While cash costs have increased 19%, profit margins -- the true gauge of a company's value -- have expanded 25% on average, more than offsetting the cost increases.In fact, financials for the majority of gold companies have been improving for years. According to Cooper, many gold companies "have been generating positive
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV