10 Most Convenient Cities in America
Zillow Home Value Index: $470,000
Year-over-year change: -9.9%
Walk score (out of 100): 86
Walk Score considers it the most walkable city in America, and its compact, concise layout makes it easy to see why. It's yet another city that didn't care a whole lot about the car when it was incorporated in 1850, when it was rebuilt after the 1906 earthquake and even in the car-crazy 1950s, when local protest stopped freeways from running through town.
As a result, 17 of its neighborhoods rank among the top 150 most walkable in the country, with Chinatown and the Financial District sitting behind only New York's TriBeCa, SoHo and Little Italy. Only 1% of the city lives in areas dependent on cars.
The mass transit's not bad either, with the Bay Area Rapid Transit subway system carrying more than 100 million passengers last year and the San Francisco Municipal Railway taking on another 209.5 million. That doesn't include other commuter rail and bus service from Silicon Valley and elsewhere that adds more than 20 million riders to the mix. If Steve McQueen had to film the greatest chase scene in movie history from 1968's Bullitt in San Francisco again today, he might have to trade in his Dodge Charger for bus fare.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV