10 Most Convenient Cities in America
Zillow Home Value Index: $470,000
Year-over-year change: -9.9%
Walk score (out of 100): 86
Walk Score considers it the most walkable city in America, and its compact, concise layout makes it easy to see why. It's yet another city that didn't care a whole lot about the car when it was incorporated in 1850, when it was rebuilt after the 1906 earthquake and even in the car-crazy 1950s, when local protest stopped freeways from running through town.
As a result, 17 of its neighborhoods rank among the top 150 most walkable in the country, with Chinatown and the Financial District sitting behind only New York's TriBeCa, SoHo and Little Italy. Only 1% of the city lives in areas dependent on cars.
The mass transit's not bad either, with the Bay Area Rapid Transit subway system carrying more than 100 million passengers last year and the San Francisco Municipal Railway taking on another 209.5 million. That doesn't include other commuter rail and bus service from Silicon Valley and elsewhere that adds more than 20 million riders to the mix. If Steve McQueen had to film the greatest chase scene in movie history from 1968's Bullitt in San Francisco again today, he might have to trade in his Dodge Charger for bus fare.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV