10 Most Convenient Cities in America
Zillow Home Value Index: $387,900
Year-over-year change: -7.6%
Walk score (out of 100): 67
The average Los Angeles driver spends about two and a half days each year stuck in traffic. We understand that not every neighborhood in L.A. is readily accessible without a car or necessarily a place you'd want to go without one, but at least one of those days could be shaved off through walking or public transportation.
Mid City West, Downtown, New Downtown and Mid Wilshire all get high marks from Walk Score for having lots of people and amenities around, with neighborhoods in the west of the city such as West Los Angeles, Sawtell, Palms and Century City also getting the nod. That said, roughly 16% of the city lives in areas such as Glendale, Brentwood, Bel Air and Pacific Palisades, where going without a car really isn't an option.
Despite its reputation as a driving city, Los Angeles' public transportation logs some serious miles. The city's buses alone handled more than 358 million passengers a year. The subway still doesn't get a lot of love, though, as its 47.4 million riders last year were less than half the number that rode San Francisco's BART. The light rail fares slightly better with 48.2 million riders, which is still a whole lot better than a commuter rail system that slipped to little more than 10.5 million from 11 million in 2009.L.A. can be convenient, but only with a decent pair of Reeboks, a bike or a bus pass. -- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV