10 Most Convenient Cities in America
Zillow Home Value Index: $165,800
Year-over-year change: -6.7%
Walk score (out of 100): 62
The Midwest cities sure knew how to build along Lake Michigan. Milwaukee's walkability mirrors that of Chicago's: Progressively worse as you move west from the waterfront.
The Lower East Side, North Point, Murray Hill, Juneau Town and Bay View neighborhoods closest to the water are also among the city's and nation's densest and most bustling. Each are great places to get a cup of Alterra coffee or a pint of Lakefront Brewery's gluten-free New Grist beer, but all are well served by Milwaukee transit buses, which took on 11 million riders last year.
Of the convenient cities, Milwaukee's ratio of neighborhoods where cars are flat-out unnecessary (29%) to those where cars are almost mandatory (20%) is perhaps the most even, thanks to the far less navigable neighborhoods in the extreme north, south and west of the city. But the city's Grand Necklace of parks designed by Central Park Planner Frederick Law Olmsted; a steady influx of young residents from Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee; and the growing desirability and density of neighborhoods including Brady Street, Bay View and Riverwest are making Milwaukee more walkable by the moment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV