10 Most Convenient Cities in America
Zillow Home Value Index: $165,800
Year-over-year change: -6.7%
Walk score (out of 100): 62
The Midwest cities sure knew how to build along Lake Michigan. Milwaukee's walkability mirrors that of Chicago's: Progressively worse as you move west from the waterfront.
The Lower East Side, North Point, Murray Hill, Juneau Town and Bay View neighborhoods closest to the water are also among the city's and nation's densest and most bustling. Each are great places to get a cup of Alterra coffee or a pint of Lakefront Brewery's gluten-free New Grist beer, but all are well served by Milwaukee transit buses, which took on 11 million riders last year.
Of the convenient cities, Milwaukee's ratio of neighborhoods where cars are flat-out unnecessary (29%) to those where cars are almost mandatory (20%) is perhaps the most even, thanks to the far less navigable neighborhoods in the extreme north, south and west of the city. But the city's Grand Necklace of parks designed by Central Park Planner Frederick Law Olmsted; a steady influx of young residents from Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee; and the growing desirability and density of neighborhoods including Brady Street, Bay View and Riverwest are making Milwaukee more walkable by the moment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV