Further, truck traffic density makes up one-third of all traffic along slammed Southeast interstate routes, which one railroad analyst who preferred anonymity said could drive intermodal use for companies who operate in the region like CSX (CSX) and Norfolk Southern (NSC).
The AAR reported on Thursday that intermodal volume was up 6.4% for the week ending June 11 against the same week last year.
Investors could also leap for railroads as the latest forecasts call for 2011 coal exports to hit 100 million tons, a number that the railroad industry has not seen for about 20 years.
"Export demand for coal is growing rapidly," said Chris Jenkins, vice president of CSX coal service groups. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV