NEW YORK (TheStreet ) -- Despite Greece's appointment of a new finance minister on Friday, the gold market hardly felt relief amidst the looming possibility of a euro zone default. Gold gave up some early gains during today's session, but August futures traded up as high as $1542.
Gold on the Comex was last gaining $11.90 to $1,537.70 an ounce. New York spot gold price was increasing by $12.78 to $1541.90 per ounce, according to Kitco's gold index.
The U.S. dollar index was losing 0.6% to $74.97. The euro was slipping 0.8% against the dollar.
July silver futures were flat at $35.70 an ounce. Gold mining stocks were moving mostly lower this morning. Kinross Gold (KGC) was losing 1% to $15.09 while Yamana Gold (AUY) was gaining 1% to $11.38. Other gold stocks, Agnico-Eagle (AEM) and Eldorado Gold (EGO)were trading at $61.91 and $13.86, respectively. --Written by Chao Deng in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Chao Deng. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/chao_deng.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV