According to a Reuters report, Oracle is claiming that Google's Android operating system infringes on patents related to Java programming technology that Oracle owns through its acquisition of Sun Microsystems in late January 2010.
The Reuters report cited a new court filing in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco.
"The Java software platform is central to this action," Oracle said in the original court filing related to the lawsuit, which was launched shortly after the Sun deal was completed. "The patents at issue claim improvements to the Java technology."Google has claimed that Oracle's damages report is "unreliable and results-oriented," while Oracle has accused Google of attempting to hide the fact that Oracle's proper damages are in the billions, Reuters said. The trial related to the suit is expected to begin in November. Oracle shares closed at $30.80, down 1.16%, as Google trades were flat at $500.37, down 0.5% on Thursday. --Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV