NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bank stocks were relatively resilient on Thursday, despite worries about the exposure of U.S. banks to Greece and other distressed sovereign debt.
Economic data was mixed on Thursday with better-than-expected jobless claims and housing starts data offset by a weaker- than- expected manufacturing report. Performance was mixed among the large-cap banks with shares of Bank of America and Wells Fargo (WFC) climbing by about 0.9% each.
Shares of Citigroup (C) fell 1.1% to $37.59 after it said a data breach in May affected 360,609 credit card accounts, more than the 200,000 originally reported by the media. Shares of JPMorgan Chase (JPM) slipped 0.8% to $40.36.
Capital One Financial (COF) saw its stock rise 2.4% to $49 on reports that it had won a bid for ING Groep's (ING) U.S. online banking unit, ING Direct for $9 billion. The bank will pay for the deal with $6.2 billion in cash and $2.8 billion stock, according to the report.M&T Bank (MTB) and PNC Financial (PNC) were other prominent gainers among large-cap banks, up about 1% each. Among the regionals, First Midwest Bancorp (FMBI) and Susquehanna Bancshares (SUSQ) and First Commonwealth Financial (FCF) made smart gains of between 3% to 4%. A prominent loser was F.N.B. (FNB) which shed 4.5% to $ 9.85after it said it will acquire Pennsylvania bank Parkvale Financial in an all- stock transaction valued at approximately $22.48 per share, or $130 million. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV