7. Banco Santander (Brasil) (BSBR) is a Brazilian full-service bank having the fourth-largest asset base in the country. The bank operates in three business segments: commercial banking, wholesale banking, and asset management.
Lower loan loss provisions boosted net income to 18% during 2011 first quarter. Aided by individual loans and SMEs, the bank's loan portfolio grew at a robust 17.6% year-over-year at the end of March. Nearly 50% of the bank's lending supports the retail segment. Net interest income was up 11.5% over the same period in 2010.
Non-performing loans dipped 6.4% during the March quarter, narrowing 140 basis points year-over-year. The coverage ratio is comfortable at 98.1%.BSBR's return on equity improved to 11.7% during the latest first quarter, compared to 10.5% in the same period last year. Return on assets stood at 2.2% during the quarter, flat versus the first quarter of 2010. Analysts expect the stock to deliver an upside of 34% with buy ratings of 55%. The stock is trading at 10.4 times its 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV