8. Itau Unibanco Holding (ITUB) is one of the largest private banks in Brazil.
During the first quarter, Itau's buoyant credit growth boosted net income to $2.25 billion, up 9.3% year-over-year. However, profits declined as provisions grew 15% compared to the same period last year.
Total loans expanded 22%, higher than the Brazilian central bank's mandated range of 10% to 15% through March. Nevertheless, credit growth could be slower on interest rate hikes and the central bank's monetary curbs.Non-performing loans were flat quarter-on-quarter at 4.2% nevertheless, some deterioration was observed from smaller companies during the quarter. The bank's return on equity stood at around 22.7%. The stock is trading at 11 times its estimated 2011 earnings with an upside potential of 33% in the next one year. Of the 12 analysts covering the stock, 10 rate it a buy, as per a Bloomberg consensus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV