Live Blog Recap: RIM Earnings
The company posted adjusted earnings of $1.33 per share on sales of $4.9 billion, versus analyst expectations for a profit of $1.32 per share on revenue of $5.1 billion.
RIM, under siege in a hotly-contested mobile market, also lowered its outlook for the full year, predicting between $4.25 and $6 per share, down from $7.50The pressure sits on RIM to prove that its sagging BlackBerry sales can at least keep up the fight until reinforcements -- new products -- arrive in what's been a losing battle against Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and Google's (GOOG) Android devices. The one bright side: RIM shipped 500,000 of its PlayBook tablet devices, above analysts estimates of about 360,000. Consequently, investors are left with few slivers of hope. Much of the remaining optimism is riding on the QNX operating system, software that's being designed for the next generation of supersmart RIM devices. Unfortunately for impatient investors, the QNX cavalry won't arrive until sometime next year, well after the onslaught. Shares of RIM tumbled in after-hours trading, down nearly 15% to $30.10 at last check. --Blog written by Scott Moritz and James Rogers in New York.
Follow the writers on Twitter at TheStreet_Tech
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV