VIG (Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF) follows the Broad Dividend Achievers Index which features constituents with a history of increasing dividends. It was launched in April 2004, has AUM of $6.4 billion and an average daily trading volume of just below 700K shares. The expense ratio is .18%. As of March 2011, VIG returned 4.19% YTD. The current quarterly dividend is $.27 which provides a yield of around 2%.
Data as of June 2011
VIG Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- ConocoPhillips (COP): 4.45%
- Chevron Corporation (CVX): 4.38%
- Coca-Cola Company (KO): 4.09%
- ExxonMobil Corporation (XOM): 4.07%
- United Technologies Corp (UTX): 3.96%
- McDonald's Corporation (MCD): 3.95%
- IBM Corp (IBM): 3.91%
- PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP): 3.79%
- Procter & Gamble Company (PG): 3.71%
- Caterpillar Inc. (CAT): 3.67%
IYR (iShares Dow Jones U.S. Real Estate ETF) follow the index of the same name and was first issued in June 2000. AUM is just under $3 billion while average daily trading volume is nearly 8M shares. The expense ratio is .48% and the quarterly dividend is $.50 making for a yield of around 3.3% which is low given the higher risk for the sector. This is chiefly due to most assets consisting of REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) which are much more volatile and economically sensitive. It's said that over the next 5 years REITs have $3 trillion in outstanding debts due or refinance. Nevertheless, IYR has returned 6.25% through March 2011.
A competitive choice would be VNQ (Vanguard REIT ETF) which was launched September 2004 and tracks the MSCI U.S. REIT Index. AUM equal $9.2 billion and average daily trading volume is 1.8M shares. The current dividend is $.41 which makes the yield roughly 2.75% based on prices as of June 2011. The expense ratio is a low .12%.
Data as of June 2011
IYR Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Simon Property Group, Inc. (SPG): 8.32%
- Vornado Realty Trust (VNO): 4.26%
- Equity Residential (EQR): 4.21%
- Public Storage (PSA): 4.01%
- Boston Properties, Inc. (BXP): 3.61%
- Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NLY): 3.46%
- HCP, Inc. (HCP): 3.39%
- Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (HST): 2.82%
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): 2.77%
- AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (AVB): 2.73%
Data as of June 2011
RWX Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Westfield Group (WDC): 6.95%
- Unibail-Rodamco Se (UL): 6.39%
- Brookfield Asset Management (BAM): 5.69%
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. (8801): 4.59%
- Land Securities Group PLC (LAND): 3.26%
- Hong Kong Land Holdings Ltd. (H78): 2.81%
- British Land Co PLC (BLND): 2.70%
- Westfield Retail Trust (WRT): 2.54%
- Hang Lung Properties Ltd. (00101): 2.54%
- Link Real Estate Investment Trust (00823): 2.36%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV