Yesterday's oversold bounce was just that and now we're getting oversold again. The dollar's sharp rally Wednesday took most commodities, except precious metals, to the woodshed. So why would the dollar rally with a trifecta of lousy economic data? It's more likely repatriation and a flight to safety as risk avoidance remains job one.
And, the data was horrible led by the Empire State Manufacturing data (-7.8 vs 14 expected), Industrial Production (.1% vs .2% expected) and the Housing Index (13 vs 16 previous) which combined to hit stocks hard. Yesterday's theme, "not as bad as feared" was quickly forgotten for the spin it was.
Sure, folks are worried about Greece but it's a small country. Nevertheless, it's symbolic of the debt crisis contagion moving around the developed world from PIIGS to as far as Madison, Wisconsin. Political leaders must confront realities born of this growing cancer. It won't by pretty, it won't be fun but it must be done. Where's the leadership?!What's next? If you care, there's Jobless Claims Thursday (Care to guess? Most experts are just picking numbers out of the air now); Housing Starts and the Philly Fed Survey. Volume Thursday was again much higher on selling than the previous rally. Breadth was quite negative and approaches another 10/90 day. You can follow our pithy comments on twitter and join the conversation with me on facebook. Continue to U.S. Sector, Stocks & Bond ETFs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV