Apple Takes More of World From RIM
The numbers are certainly compelling. Apple enjoyed record iPhone sales during its recent fiscal second-quarter, with shipments leaping a massive 113%, accounting for half of the firm's total revenue of $24.7 billion.
RIM, on the other hand, is rapidly losing share to Apple and Android. Investors are also dismayed by the fact that new superphones running the company's hyped QNX software won't hit the market until 2012.
Set against this backdrop, RIM has seen its stock slip almost 40% this year.
Apple has also slashed the gap on smartphone leader Nokia, according to tech research firm IDC. With 24.2 million smartphones shipped during the first quarter, Nokia remains at the head of the smartphone pack, although IDC recently reported that Apple is hot on the heels of the Finnish firm, recording record single-quarter shipments of 18.7 million devicesNokia, for its part, is losing business during a major overhaul of its phones to operate on Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Phone 7 software. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV