DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- This time, when fuel prices rose dramatically and demand rose for compact cars, Detroit automakers were ready.
|Chevrolet Cruze sales soared in May.|
Of course, production woes in Japan put a temporary ceiling on the Honda (HMC) and Toyota (TM) production. But it is clear that the success of the Cruze and the Focus reflects not only a temporary setback for rivals, but also gains for Detroit in the areas of competitive worker compensation and commitment to better small cars.
Compact cars represented 16% of U.S. sales in May, up 19% year-to-date.Read on for the top five small cars in the U.S. in May.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV