Others are not as optimistic. Mihir Dange, founder and trader at Arbitrage, thinks that gold prices could sink to the $1,425-$1,450 level. "I'm looking for that area," says Dange. "We got short lost week. We have taken some of those shorts back, but I'm staying short right now."
David Banister, chief investment strategist at ActiveTradingPartners.com, who said gold would put in a short term top around $1,550, sees even more downside to prices. "I think we are on the precipice of an intermediate top in gold .... We may have a multi-month correction. If gold can't get through $1,551 we could go much lower." Banister thinks if the correction is very steep gold could sink as low as $1,310 an ounce
Gold mining stocks were moving mostly higher. Kinross Gold (KGC) was flat at $15.45 while Yamana Gold (AUY) was slightly lower at $11.55. Other gold stocks, Agnico-Eagle (AEM) and Eldorado Gold (EGO)were trading at $62.14 and $14.04, respectively.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alix Steel. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adsteel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV