CINCINNATI, June 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- ManoftheHouse.com, an online resource for dads from Procter & Gamble Productions and Barefoot Proximity, recently surveyed 350 dads to understand the evolution of the American dad, his attitudes towards Father's Day and how his fatherhood priorities differ from those of his dad. Of the men surveyed, 80% said Mother's Day gets more attention than Father's Day. But looking at the rest of the survey results it's clear that dads deserve just as much credit as moms, because of the roles they play with their children and in their households.
In fact, in many cases men are doing as much or more around the house as women. The ManoftheHouse.com study showed:
- 60% of men say they share the responsibility for childcare equally with their spouse
- 43% are spending as much time as their spouse scrubbing toilets, mopping floors and loading dishwashers
- 33% of men are spending equal time in the laundry room and at the kitchen stove
Moreover, today's dad is doing all this while still managing his traditionally male household roles. The majority of the men we surveyed say they are still primarily responsible for automotive (78%), household (63%) and yard (69%) maintenance.
When asked about how they are performing versus their fathers, 59% said they are better fathers than their dad. This attitude could be attributed to men's redefinition of what it means to be a great dad. The men surveyed admitted their fathers excelled at providing financially for their families, but they do not feel that it is as important an attribute to being a great dad today. The top qualities men identified as important, and said they are excelling in today, are in relationship areas such as spending time with their kids (49%), spending time with their spouse (26%) and caring for their children (26%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV