A.M. Best Co. has affirmed the financial strength rating of A (Excellent) and issuer credit ratings (ICR) of “a” of The Hanover Insurance Group Property and Casualty Companies (The Hanover) and its members. Additionally, A.M. Best has affirmed the ICR of “bbb” and all existing debt ratings of the parent holding company, The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (THG) [NYSE: THG]. The outlook for all ratings is stable. Both companies are domiciled in Worcester, MA. (Please see below for a detailed listing of the companies and ratings.)
The ratings reflect The Hanover’s excellent risk-adjusted capitalization, stemming from consistently favorable operating earnings. Despite consistent dividend payments to THG in recent years, The Hanover has been able to increase surplus over the past five years through solid net investment income, and to a lesser degree, generally favorable underwriting performance. In addition, the ratings reflect the company’s prudent risk management and diversified product offerings, especially in the commercial and specialty segments of its book of business. The ratings also recognize moderate financial leverage and the financial flexibility at THG.
Partially offsetting these positive rating factors is The Hanover’s comparatively high underwriting leverage and somewhat elevated expense structure.
Previously, A.M. Best commented that both The Hanover and THG’s ratings were unchanged following the announcement in April 2011 that THG was proposing to acquire Chaucer Holdings PLC (Chaucer) (United Kingdom) [LSE: CHU], a leading specialist insurance group and the parent of Lloyd’s Syndicates 1084 and 1176. The transaction, which is subject to the approval of regulatory bodies in the United States and United Kingdom, is expected to close during the third quarter of 2011. (Please see the A.M. Best press release dated April 20, 2011 for further details.)The FSR of A (Excellent) and ICR of “a” have been affirmed for The Hanover Insurance Group Property and Casualty Companies and its following members:
- AIX Specialty Insurance Company
- Allmerica Financial Alliance Insurance Company
- Allmerica Financial Benefit Insurance Company
- CampMed Casualty & Indemnity Company, Inc. of Maryland
- Citizens Insurance Company of America
- Citizens Insurance Company of Ohio
- Citizens Insurance Company of the Midwest
- Citizens Insurance Company of Illinois
- The Hanover American Insurance Company
- The Hanover Insurance Company
- The Hanover Lloyd’s Insurance Company
- The Hanover New Jersey Insurance Company
- Massachusetts Bay Insurance Company
- NOVA Casualty Company
- Professionals Direct Insurance Company
- Verlan Fire Insurance Company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV