"Those are two banks that grow dividends well over 100% this year," Newhall says.
Among the top VDIGX holdings are Automatic Data Processing (ADP) (with a dividend of $1.44 and yield of 2.80%), Exxon Mobil (XOM) ($1.88/2.4%), Pfizer (PFE) ($0.80/4%), Pepsi (PEP) ($2.06/3%), Medtronic (MDT) ($0.90/2.4%), Western Union (WU) ($0.32/1.6%), IBM (IBM) ($3/1.8%), Cardinal Health (CAH) ($0.86/2%) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) ($2.38/3.4%).
Colgate-Palmolive (CL) (with a dividend of $2.32 and yield of 2.7%) "is one we consider a stalwart of the fund," Newhall says. "Colgate is such a great example because you look at it now and, on a run-rate basis, its dividend should increase this year about 14% and this is the 48th consecutive year of dividend growth. We'd love to fill the portfolio with 50 companies like that."
SDIV maintains an underlying focus on diversity. It has a multi-national selection of 100 companies, each equally weighted."The expectation going in is that we would see a lot of concentration in financials and utilities," del Ama says. "When we came back with their list of the top-paying companies we found that we had a ton of consumer companies. We have a pretty broad range of companies." REITs comprise 22% of the portfolio, followed by consumer discretionary (16%), telecommunications (16%), financial services (10%), utilities (8%), banks (5%), consumer staples (5%), energy (5%), industrials (5%), insurance (3%), technology (3%) and health care (2%). International company and currency holdings break down among the U.S. (32%), Australia (24%), Great Britain (10%), Canada (6%) and Singapore (4%). The equal weighting "materially diminishes the risk of any one company cutting or significantly decreasing their dividends if the get into financial difficulty," del Ama says. A key selection criteria for both funds is not just current yields, but companies that have the ability to grow that yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV