NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Global indices registered losses last week on unfavorable economic data. Brazil's benchmark Bovespa was the top decliner among emerging markets, shedding 2.6%. China's Shanghai Composite Index followed, easing 1%, while India's Nifty fell 0.8%. The S&P 500 and the Dow Jones dipped 2.2% and 1.6%, respectively, as U.S. jobless claims edged higher than expected.
For the week ended June 8, data compiled by international fund tracking firm EPFR showed that investors, wary of high inflation and global economic growth, pulled out $220 million from emerging-market equity funds. Stocks on the emerging-market indices declined with central banks raising interest rates despite a slowdown in global economic growth.
Brazil's retail sales dropped 0.2% in April from March levels, for the first time in a year. Additionally, consumer prices in Brazil increased 0.47% in May, the slowest pace since Sept. 2010. BRF Brasil Foods (BRFS) and Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes (GOL) were among the major losers, sinking 11.7% and 10%, respectively.
On the Shanghai Composite Index, China Medical Technologies (CMED) and SINA (SINA) were among the major decliners, plunging 23% and 20%, respectively. Meanwhile, Rediff.com India (REDF) and Sify Technologies (SIFY) on India's Nifty index were the top losers, relinquishing 20% and 16.4%, respectively.These five stocks from India and China accumulated gains in the past week despite losses on global indices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV