The Yacktman Fund (YACKX) is a good long-distance runner with a performance that puts it in the top 1% over funds in the large-cap value fund category over three, five, 10 and 15 year periods. It's down 3.7% over the past month, but up 2.3% over three months and 5% this year.
The portfolio is anchored by a 34.6% consumer-defensive weighting, almost three times the size of the average of its peers. Consumer cyclicals, at 22%, is the second-biggest weighting, versus the 6.5% of its peers, while health care is 18% of the fund versus the 11.7% average for its category.The $5.2 billion fund holds 38 stocks and has a slim 10% annual portfolio turnover. The fund's largest holdings include: media conglomerate News Corp. (NWSA), at 11%; beverage and snack maker Pepsi (PEP), 10.5%; household-products maker Procter & Gamble (PG), 5%; software maker Microsoft (MSFT), 5%; Coca-Cola (KO), 4.7%; and health-care conglomerate Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), 4%.
The Vanguard Consumer Staples ETF (VDC) is one quick way to get a play on the defensive consumer-staples sector. The exchange traded fund is down 2.6% over the past month, but up 9% over three months and 7.9% this year. With $715 million in assets, it holds 108 stocks and has a miniscule 7% annual portfolio turnover. The top holdings are: household-products maker Procter & Gamble (PG), at 12.4%; Coca-Cola (KO), 9.8%; cigarette maker Philip Morris (PM), 8.3%; retail chain Wal-Mart (WMT), 7.2%; beverage and snack maker Pepsi (PEP), 7%; packaged-foods company Kraft Foods (KFT), 4.2%; and cigarette maker Altria, 4.1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV