The BBH Core Select Fund (BBTEX) has 24% of its $597 million assets in the consumer-staples sector, its largest weighting, twice that of its large-blend peers. But financials is the biggest sector, at 25% of the fund versus an 18% weighting for the average fund in its category. Health care is the next largest sector weighting, at 15%.
The fund has lost 3% in the past month, but is up 3.7% over the past three months and 4.8% this year. It has a 7.6% average annual return over five years.BBH Core Select has a very low 19% portfolio turnover and holds only 29 stocks. Holdings are made up of companies with strong balance sheets, high free cash flow, and high returns on invested capital. Its top positions are: Warren Buffett-led Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A), 5.6%; confectioner Nestle (NSRGY), 5.6%; trash hauler Waste Management (WM), 5%; drugmaker Novartis (NVS), 4.7%; and Baxter International (BAX), a developer of injectable medical therapies, at 4.5% of the fund.
The Sequoia Fund (SEQUX), a large-cap blend fund, has been an able performer for a long time, sporting an amazing 9.7% average annual return over the past 15 years. Its heaviest weighting now is in the health-care sector, at 27% of the fund, versus the 11% of its large-blend fund category peers, followed by a 23% consumer-cyclical weighting, compared to the average 8.4% weighting of its peers. The fund has lost 3% over the past month, but is up 3% over the past three months and 7.9% this year. The $4.3 billion fund holds only 31 stocks and has relatively low 23% annual turnover. The top holdings are: drug maker Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX), 13.7%; Warren Buffett's conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A), 9.3%; discount-clothing retailer TJX Cos. (TJX), 6%; construction-products maker Fastenal (FAST), 5.5%; and Idexx Laboratories (IDXX), a veterinary diagnostic laboratory business, at 4.8%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV