Rydex Consumer Products Fund (RYCIX) lives up to its name as it has a 100% allocation to the consumer-products sector. It has had a great long-term record, with a five-year average annual return of 7.9%. It is down 2.5% over the past month, but up 9.6% over the past three months, and up 9.8% this year.
The fund holds 63 stocks and its portfolio is a veritable laundry list of the leading consumer-products companies.Its top holdings are: household-goods maker Procter & Gamble (PG), at 6%; Coca-Cola (KO), 5.6%; cigarette maker Philip Morris (PM), 5%; beverage and snack maker Pepsi (PEP), 4.6%; processed-food giant Kraft Foods (KFT), 3.4%; cigarette maker Altria (MO), 3.4%; and personal-care products maker Colgate-Palmolive (CL), 2.9%.
The aptly named Vice Fund (VICEX) is proof of that. Although it is down 2.6% this month, it is up 10.4% this year which puts it in the top 1% of top-performing funds of the 1,970 funds in the large-blend stock fund category for that period. It also has a five-year average annualized return of 3.3%. The fund's 30-stock portfolio is 57% consumer-defensive stocks, compared to 12% for its category average. The next-largest allocation is to industrials, at 25% of the fund, about double its category average, and consumer cyclical, a 14% weighting, versus the 8% average of other funds in its category. The Vice Fund's top-five picks are: cigarette makers Philip Morris International (PM) at 12.7% of the fund; Lorillard (LO), 10%; Altria (MO), 6%; and adult-beverage makers Carlsberg (AS), at 6.3%, and Diageo (DEO), 4.1%. The industrial weighting includes a handful of defense-industry stocks, including: Northrop Grumman (NOC), General Dynamics (GD) and Raytheon (RTN). For those with no moral qualms about what they invest in, booze and butts do well in any investing environment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV