Perhaps Bernanke's grand academic research didn't factor in modern conditions. Low interest rates during a recession were certainly appropriate but everything else (stimulus, QE and even bailouts) you could've left out from my view. Yes it would've been brutal not bailing out banks here and abroad; but, the harsh pain may have been over quickly. And, if proper accommodative public policies were in place (tax rates, "fair" trade, energy independence and etc.) the economic comeback may have been quick, given the unleashed animal spirits. It's sort of like the dentist telling you he wants to remove your four impacted wisdom teeth one tooth at a time per year. No thanks. Let's get it over with.
Of course the Fed will continue its POMO activities with $60B in purchases over the next few weeks as outlined here. Watch out for the double $10B injection on Monday June 20 th, which is curiously just after quadwitching.
It's easy to second guess. But now what? Just a long hot summer ahead is all I see. This unemployment map from the WSJ today tells the tale in my opinion.Everything was sold on Friday (stocks, commodities, currencies and etc) leaving only bonds as the safe haven of choice. Question: Why would you think the dollar is safe? I guess it's just repatriation. So Thursday we got our rather weak oversold rally as expected but now the big negative economic picture is taking hold. There isn't much to add except to say we're again short-term oversold. Volume expanded rapidly Friday reaching one of the highest readings in 2011 as this repeats previous higher volume (distribution) days. Breadth per the WSJ was quite negative approaching a 10/90 day. You can follow our pithy comments on twitter and become a fan of ETF Digest on facebook. Continue to U.S. Sector, Stocks & Bond ETFs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV