Now consider the correlation matrix below. In a world where correlations greater than 0.80 are the norm for stocks and commodities, the highest correlation between growth-oriented ETFs in this portfolio is less than 0.60.
I am not suggesting that you jettison your holdings. For one thing, keeping up with correlations can be more difficult than keeping up with the Kardashians. Secondly, beating the market with seven ETFs is a foolhardy financial pursuit, even when your foresight has a history of succeeding. (Review my November 2010 article: "How My 7 ETFs Trounced The S&P 500."
That said, I encourage investors to check correlation coefficients. Make sure high-positive or high-negative correlations are in check, either by committing to stop-loss limit orders on each investment or by making a few adjustments to some of the positions in your account(s).You can listen to the ETF Expert Radio Show "LIVE", via podcast or on your iPod. You can review more ETF Expert features here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV