NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you've got an entrepreneurial Dad or grad in your life -- ideally one unafraid to fly his or her geek flag -- have I got a gift for you: the Kyocera (KYO) Echo dual-screen smartphone from Sprint (S) ($99 with 2-year plan).
Released in early April to what amounted to gasps of digital shock and awe, the Echo was the first two-screen, touch-activated Google (GOOG) Android-based communications tool I know of. When folded up, only a single screen is visible; the thing behaves like your average Motorola (MOT) Droid or HTC Hero. But pop open the device via its crafty internal hinge and poof, you have a palm-sized desktop computer. The two screens can work as one large display or run as a teenie-weenie Bloomberg terminal with separate programs on each small screen.
|The Kyocera Echo is a good tool to consider for simple work stuff such as getting emails, finding information, responding and, most importantly, managing and displaying mobile assets.|
Initially, the techno elite dismissed the Echo as too big, 3G-only and lacking enough app oomph to warrant serious business attention. All of which is true.But Echo haters ignore the pure genius of this device. For small businesses looking for a mobile display that helps explain just about any idea, to any customer, it's tough to beat the Echo. What you get
The Echo offers just what the sales doctor ordered: a ton of screen real estate still portable enough so you can do and present work anywhere to anyone. No question, this thing is geek madness incarnate. My test unit is a simply monstrous 5 inches diagonally and a full three-quarters-inch thick when closed. When open, the Echo expands to 4.7 inches square! Personal pizzas are smaller.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV