3. Mechel (MTL) operates in four segments: mining, steel, ferroalloys and power. Its mining segment produces coking and steam coal, as well as iron ore and iron ore concentrate. Its steel segment produces and sells semi-finished steel products, carbon and specialty long products. Mechel's ferroalloys segment produces and sells low-ferrous ferronickel, ferrochrome and ferrosilicon. Its power segment produces and sells electricity to internal and external customers. The stock has gained 2.5% during the last one week.
For the year ended Dec. 2010, revenue surged 69.4% to $9.7 billion from $5.7 billion in the previous year, attributable to higher sales prices and volumes across all its segments and improved sales volumes of products the company purchased on the market and re-sold to related metallurgical plants. Subsequently, net income soared to $657.2 million from $73.7 million during 2009.
The company recently announced dividends of approximately 32 cents per ordinary share and 95 cents per preferred share. Effectively, the company will be paying approximately $262.9 million in dividends for 2010, up from $29.5 million a year ago.Of the 24 analysts covering the stock, 88% recommend a buy and the remaining rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. On average, analysts estimate 31% upside to $35.51 in value from current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV