How about more money and more regulation? Maybe not as crazy as it sounds.
Harvard's Moss says that when Glass-Steagall was passed back in 1933, many critics predicted that the forced separation of commercial from investment banking would severely weaken the American financial system and undermine its competitiveness.
"It turned out that the critics were dead wrong," Moss says. "In fact, our investment banks turned out to be the most competitive financial institutions in the world. They were arguably more competitive, more dynamic than they were before Glass-Steagall, before the separation, and our financial system blossomed."
That "golden era" of U.S. financial regulation lasted some 50 years, Moss argues."There were no major financial crises and America's financial system was the most competitive in the world. That formula - of aggressive regulation of the biggest systemic threats and a lighter regulatory touch elsewhere -- worked for us in the past, and it's a formula we should get back to." -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV