NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Copper prices were stagnant as the latest round of economic data offered few indications of widespread global recovery.
Copper for July delivery was down 1 cent to $4.09 on the New York Mercantile Exchange
Copper prices on the London Metal Exchange fell yesterday for the first time in four days to $8,981 per ton. Base metals on Shanghai Futures Exchange ended mixed Thursday. The August copper benchmark added a marginal 0.1% at CY67,670 a metric ton. Copper prices are likely to rally towards the end of year because of a rebound in Chinese buying, according to a research report by RBC Capital.
The copper market is not in very tight market conditions currently, said Catherine Virga, Director of Research at CPM Group. "It's driven more by expectations" as we see sideways markets movement, she explained. Virga said she was not expecting any "dramatic" fluctuations in the near term.Copper mining stocks are mixed in trading this morning. Mining company Southern Copper (SCCO) is down 0.7% at $31.73. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX) is up 1.6% at $49.60. -- Written by Chao Deng in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Chao Deng. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Chao Deng. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV