3. James River Coal Company (JRCC), mines, processes and sells bituminous, steam- and industrial-grade coal through six operating subsidiaries (mining complexes) located throughout eastern Kentucky and in southern Indiana.
Lower tons shipped in the CAPP and Midwest regions declined first quarter 2011 net revenue to $164.6 million, down 10.8% from the first quarter of 2010, although partially offset by higher average sales price per ton in the CAPP and Midwest regions. Higher costs swung the company to a net loss of $7.6 million, or 28 cents per share, from a profit of $23.2 million, or 84 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.
The company shipped 2,073 tons of coal at $79.39 per ton during the first quarter compared to 2,400 tons at $76.92 per ton during the prior year's same quarter. Furthermore, the company announced the completion of International Resource Partners' (IRP) acquisition for $475 million in an all-cash transaction. During 2010, IRP had revenue of $490.3 million and pretax income of $51.3 million. Lastly, it reached agreements to sell approximately 800,000 tons of 2011 thermal and met coal at an average sales price of $132.32.Of the 13 analysts covering the stock, 54% recommend a buy and the rest rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 38.7% to $27 in the upcoming 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV