3. James River Coal Company (JRCC), mines, processes and sells bituminous, steam- and industrial-grade coal through six operating subsidiaries (mining complexes) located throughout eastern Kentucky and in southern Indiana.
Lower tons shipped in the CAPP and Midwest regions declined first quarter 2011 net revenue to $164.6 million, down 10.8% from the first quarter of 2010, although partially offset by higher average sales price per ton in the CAPP and Midwest regions. Higher costs swung the company to a net loss of $7.6 million, or 28 cents per share, from a profit of $23.2 million, or 84 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.
The company shipped 2,073 tons of coal at $79.39 per ton during the first quarter compared to 2,400 tons at $76.92 per ton during the prior year's same quarter. Furthermore, the company announced the completion of International Resource Partners' (IRP) acquisition for $475 million in an all-cash transaction. During 2010, IRP had revenue of $490.3 million and pretax income of $51.3 million. Lastly, it reached agreements to sell approximately 800,000 tons of 2011 thermal and met coal at an average sales price of $132.32.Of the 13 analysts covering the stock, 54% recommend a buy and the rest rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 38.7% to $27 in the upcoming 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV