4. Cloud Peak Energy (CLD) operates wholly owned coal mines Antelope, Cordero Rojo and Spring Creek Mine located in the Powder River Basin of Montana and Wyoming. The company sells sub-bituminous steam coal to domestic power utilities that generate almost 6% of electricity in the U.S.
The company reported net income of $26.8 million for the first quarter of 2011, or 44 cents per share, as compared to $11.6 million, or 38 cents per share, in prior year's same quarter. Revenue was up 14.6% to $356.5 million from the first quarter of 2010. Production increased to 23.2 million from its three operated mines from 21.4 million tons in the first quarter of 2010.
Coal production from Cloud Peak's three operated mines is estimated at 93 to 96 million tons with 90 million tons committed in fixed-price contracts. Additional operating margin guidance has been updated to range from $30 to $50 million from the earlier estimate of $20 to $35 million.Of the 15 analysts covering the stock, 47% recommend a buy and the remaining rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. A Bloomberg consensus expects an average 12-month price target of $26.57, which is 38.6% higher than the stock's current price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV